What do these great men have in common? Beards! But there comes a time in the life of every such man when he is tempted (or encouraged by his wife) to shave it off.
Norah Lynne and Alan Brown founded Gallery One in 1974, and Alan has worn a beard for the entire time. His beard has been as much a Gallery One fixture as the artwork of Bateman, Brenders, Kinkade and Doolittle.
But lately, Clancy and Shayna, Gallery One’s Lakeland Terrier rescue dogs and official “Patrons of the Arfs™”, have been campaigning for their dad to sport the clean-shaven look.
To that end, Alan told Clancy and Shayna to poll a random sampling of the population, agreeing to comply with the consensus. Here are a few of the responses so far:
- Col. Nathan R. Jessup: “You can’t handle the truth!”
- Harry Callahan: "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?'”
- Rhett Butler: “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.”
- Bill Walton: “It’s the only beard in the history of Western civilization that makes Bob Dylan’s beard look good.”
- Donatella Versace: “Some men look great unshaven; others just look like they forgot to shave”.
Send us your comments. If you submit the funniest reason for Alan "to shave or not to shave," you will win a $100 Gallery One Gift Certificate. Let your voice be heard! Reply to either
Long live the fuzz! [e-mail]
or Off with his beard! [e-mail]
- Thursday, December 5 — Deadline for responses
- Friday, December 6 — Results and Gift Certificate Winner to be announced at the Dean Morrissey show (6:45 to 9)